Increase Yields, Quality in Hermetic Package Manufacturing with New Capillary Block Technology
Indium Corporation’s new capillary block technology delivers a simple, cost-efficient alternative to the current process of using cut wire or frame preforms in hermetic package manufacturing.
Used for brazing the hermetic package frame to the base, cut wire shifts during movement and reflow, resulting in quality issues. While a more stable option, frame preforms can be costly and have long lead times when tooling setups are required.
Capillary blocks are designed with a patented square shape that keeps the material in place during movement and reflow. As a result, capillary blocks increase yields and lower cost of ownership for hermetic package manufacturing.
- Patented design offers a stable alternative to cut wire for a higher-quality solder joint
- Reduced lead time as compared to frame preforms
- Unique shape enables a tight joint connection to aid in the capillary action
- .030” wide x .030” height (length is determined by the amount of braze needed for the joint)
- Available alloys include:
- 72Ag/28Cu VTG
Capillary Blocks Blog Posts
Are you currently using cut wire braze or picture frame braze for bonding the package frame to the base plate in your hermetic package assembly process? The Indium Corporation can increase your quality and/or reduce your lead times. How?: Capillary Blocks.
From One Engineer to Another®
All of Indium Corporation’s products and solutions are designed to be commercially available
unless specifically stated otherwise.