Indium Solder and Sealing
Indium Solder and Sealing Products
No other metal is as versatile as indium metal. In its various forms it can be used for:
- Sealing in cryogenic applications - stays malleable and ductile below -150°C
- Soldering or fusing applications - melts at temperatures ranging from 6.5°C to 310°C
- High-end device cooling - reduces operating temperatures by up to 10°C
Benefits of Using Indium for Solder and Sealing
- Indium is ductile and malleable which allows it to deform and fill in the uneven microstructure of two mating parts, using only moderate pressure.
- This ductility and malleability is retained at cryogenic temperatures so that an assembly can maintain an effective seal, even in harsh environments.
- With a relatively high thermal conductivity of 86W/mK @ 85°C, indium is widely used in thermal management applications to dissipate the heat produced by electronic components.
- Indium compensates for different coefficients of thermal expansion (CTE) when bonding dissimilar parts.
- Even in small percentages, indium can improve the thermal fatigue performance of solders used in electronics assembly.
- Several indium-containing alloys melt at temperatures less than 180°C, making them ideal for step soldering or applications that require lower reflow temperatures.
- Indium has a low vapor pressure, making it suitable for use in high vacuum applications.
- Indium alloys enable solders to withstand drop tests better than other low melting alloys.
Forms of Indium
The versatility of indium extends to many forms. Indium Corporation has developed the processes necessary to optimize the manufacturability of indium and its alloys into all of these forms:
Indium Solder and Sealing Technical Documents
No presentations to display
Product Data Sheets
Safety Data Sheets
Indium Alloy Blog Posts
How indium is used in many nuclear power plants.
Stretchable circuits can change the way we think about electronics applications.
Gold-plated surfaces are widely used in electronics assembly, but using common tin-based solder alloys can scavenge the gold. There's a better solder system for this application.
Indium Corporation does not recommend, manufacture, market, or endorse any of our products for human consumption.
From One Engineer to Another®
All of Indium Corporation’s products and solutions are designed to be commercially available
unless specifically stated otherwise.