Indium Solder and Sealing
Indium Solder and Sealing Products
No other metal is as versatile as indium metal. In its various forms it can be used for:
- Sealing in cryogenic applications - stays malleable and ductile below -150°C
- Soldering or fusing applications - melts at temperatures ranging from 6.5°C to 310°C
- High-end device cooling - reduces operating temperatures by up to 10°C
Benefits of Using Indium for Solder and Sealing
- Indium is ductile and malleable which allows it to deform and fill in the uneven microstructure of two mating parts, using only moderate pressure.
- This ductility and malleability is retained at cryogenic temperatures so that an assembly can maintain an effective seal, even in harsh environments.
- With a relatively high thermal conductivity of 86W/mK @ 85°C, indium is widely used in thermal management applications to dissipate the heat produced by electronic components.
- Indium compensates for different coefficients of thermal expansion (CTE) when bonding dissimilar parts.
- Even in small percentages, indium can improve the thermal fatigue performance of solders used in electronics assembly.
- Several indium-containing alloys melt at temperatures less than 180°C, making them ideal for step soldering or applications that require lower reflow temperatures.
- Indium has a low vapor pressure, making it suitable for use in high vacuum applications.
- Indium alloys enable solders to withstand drop tests better than other low melting alloys.
Forms of Indium
The versatility of indium extends to many forms. Indium Corporation has developed the processes necessary to optimize the manufacturability of indium and its alloys into all of these forms:
Indium Solder and Sealing Technical Documents
Product Data Sheets
Safety Data Sheets
Indium Alloy Blog Posts
I just can’t get enough of a good thing. My last post mentioned donuts – one of my favorite treats. Allow me to continue reveling in the chewy sweet delight. On Saturdays the kids like to be taken for donuts; it usually doesn’t take much convincing. But, it’s not…
Dave Letterman, of late night talk show host fame, has made the Top Ten List a popular vehicle for comedy, but it is also often used to convey useful information in an easy to read format. I have read a lot of these lists in my time, and it is always fun to see one that talks about a topic near…
Folks, Some years ago, a leading IC manufacturer decided that their R&D effort could benefit if analyzed for possible improvement - by hiring professionals from the arts (e.g. singers, actors, artists etc.) In this spirit, I am going not quite so far from electronics assembly, to ask one…
Indium Corporation does not recommend, manufacture, market, or endorse any of our products for human consumption.