Indium Solder and Sealing
Indium Solder and Sealing Products
No other metal is as versatile as indium metal. In its various forms it can be used for:
- Sealing in cryogenic applications - stays malleable and ductile below -150°C
- Soldering or fusing applications - melts at temperatures ranging from 6.5°C to 310°C
- High-end device cooling - reduces operating temperatures by up to 10°C
Benefits of Using Indium for Solder and Sealing
- Indium is ductile and malleable which allows it to deform and fill in the uneven microstructure of two mating parts, using only moderate pressure.
- This ductility and malleability is retained at cryogenic temperatures so that an assembly can maintain an effective seal, even in harsh environments.
- With a relatively high thermal conductivity of 86W/mK @ 85°C, indium is widely used in thermal management applications to dissipate the heat produced by electronic components.
- Indium compensates for different coefficients of thermal expansion (CTE) when bonding dissimilar parts.
- Even in small percentages, indium can improve the thermal fatigue performance of solders used in electronics assembly.
- Several indium-containing alloys melt at temperatures less than 180°C, making them ideal for step soldering or applications that require lower reflow temperatures.
- Indium has a low vapor pressure, making it suitable for use in high vacuum applications.
- Indium alloys enable solders to withstand drop tests better than other low melting alloys.
Forms of Indium
The versatility of indium extends to many forms. Indium Corporation has developed the processes necessary to optimize the manufacturability of indium and its alloys into all of these forms:
Indium Solder and Sealing Technical Documents
Product Data Sheets
Safety Data Sheets
Indium Alloy Blog Posts
I’ve always been a strong believer that a customer should not get a solder alloy that just “works” for their application, they should get the best alloy for their application. Of course, this is a compromise between all the factors that are important. Bond strength, unique properties,…
Here at Indium Corporation we produce many forms of solder. With products like solder ingots, solder paste, and solder wire - we supply the alloys our customers need in the forms they want. One form of solder that is very interesting to me is the solder preform. In this series we will explore the solder…
The Indium Corporation recently had a customer contact us looking for 50In50Pb solder wire. We manufacture large amounts of this indium-lead material as it is used in numerous applications. In this case, it was the application that was quite interesting. I won’t give any customer…
Indium Corporation does not recommend, manufacture, market, or endorse any of our products for human consumption.
From One Engineer to Another®
All of Indium Corporation’s products and solutions are designed to be commercially available
unless specifically stated otherwise.