Storage, Handling & Shipping
Basic Safety Information
- Gloves and safety glasses should be worn at all times.
- When transported through mail or across a production floor, NanoFoil should be supported by a rigid surface to avoid bending or cracking.
- Wear safety glasses and protective clothing.
- Do not handle with bare hands; use tweezers and gloves.
- Avoid static discharge; use non-sparking handling tools.
- Avoid contact with flammable and halogenated liquids.
- Store in approved flammable storage cabinets. (separately from oxidizers)
- What are the safety concerns when using NanoFoil®?
NanoFoil® can be activated if not handled properly. This is why we provide detailed instructions on cutting and handling NanoFoil® with every kit purchase. When using or handling NanoFoil®, follow the safety instructions and keep it away from high electrical current and heat above 250°C.
- Are there special shipping requirements for NanoFoil®?
NanoFoil® is a combustible material and must be shipped by a certified shipper of hazardous materials.
- What is the shelf life of NanoFoil®?
The shelf life of NanoFoil® is one year; however, the long term shelf life of NanoFoil® is still being tested. We have activated 3-year old NanoFoil® that has still worked for the application. Over time, NanoFoil® tends to anneal and lose potential energy. If you have NanoFoil® older than one year, we will be happy to test it to measure its potential energy level.
- Are there any countries that restrict shipments of NanoFoil®?
Nearly all countries will accept shipments of NanoFoil®. Shipments to China must be picked up at the airport.
- How do you dispose of NanoFoil® once it has been ignited?
NanoFoil® after it has been ignited is just an intermetallic of nickel-aluminide. It can be recycled as you would any used solder or dross material.
- Can a person build up enough static charge to ignite the NanoFoil®?
A person cannot build up sufficient static energy to ignite the NanoFoil®, but the environment can. It is always advisable to ground yourself when working with this material. We recommend wearing approved gloves or rubber gloves to eliminate this risk.
- How much energy (volts or amps) does it take to ignite NanoFoil®?
It can take as little as 5 amps or 4 volts of energy to ignite NanoFoil®.
- What are the shipping requirements for NanoFoil®?
It is a Hazardous material because it is combustible. NanoFoil® is shipped in a metalized bag to avoid accidental ignition. In addition, we have done all necessary shipping tests with NanoFoil® and have been approved to ship it worldwide.
- Can NanoFoil® explode, catch fire, or smoke?
NanoFoil® will not explode, catch fire, or smoke. However, if it is close proximity, NanoFoil® could ignite materials that can do all these things. NanoFoil® should be kept covered and away from the joining area.
- Does the NanoFoil® produce any fumes or smoke as a byproduct?
NanoFoil® does not release any smoke or fumes. However, any particulates or oils that have contaminated the NanoFoil® by touching with your hands or improper storage may cause smoking or outgassing.
- Are there any restrictions for using these materials in medical or military applications?
NanoFoil® is RoHS compliant. Please contact our materials specialists for specific questions regarding your application.
NanoFoil® Technical Documents
No presentations to display
Safety Data Sheets
No safety data sheets to display
NanoFoil® Blog Posts
Frequently, in my role as a Technical Support Engineer, I am asked questions to which I may not immediately have an answer. Luckily, Indium Corporation has a team of experts here to back me up. The other day I was working...
As more and more of the electronics industry moves toward (SMA) Subaquatic Microelectronics Assembly, questions have arisen regarding safety aspects, solder joint quality, and reflow profiling. We believe all 3 of these concerns...
Thank you to all of the readers who have followed Indium Corporation’s blog posts this year, and a special “thank you” to all the readers who have contacted us to learn more. I’ve personally found...
From One Engineer to Another®
All of Indium Corporation’s products and solutions are designed to be commercially available
unless specifically stated otherwise.