Andy C. Mackie, PhD, MSc
Senior Product Manager,
Semiconductor and Advanced Assembly Materials
Phone: +1 315 853 4900 x7549
Address: 34 Robinson Rd., Clinton, NY USA 13323
Andy C. Mackie is the Senior Product Manager for Indium Corporation’s Semiconductor and Advanced Assembly Materials product lines.
Andy’s product lines include:
- Wafer bumping (bump fusion) fluxes
- Flip-chip fluxes
- 2.5D and 3D interconnect fluxes
- Polymeric semiconductor assembly materials
- Ball-attach fluxes
- Low and ultralow alpha (LA, ULA) solder pastes
- Ultrafine (type 5,6,7) solder pastes
- Die-attach solder pastes
- Die-attach wire
Andy is an electronics industry expert in physical chemistry, surface chemistry, rheology and semiconductor and semiconductor assembly materials and processes. He has over 20 years of experience in new product and process development and materials marketing in all areas of electronics manufacturing from wafer fabrication to semiconductor packaging and electronics assembly.
Andy is involved in several industry organizations including:
- President of the IMAPS Empire Chapter (2014 – Present)
- Vice-Chair of the IMAPS ATW on Automotive Electronics Reliability and Packaging (2014 – Present)
- Chair of the Editorial Advisory Board for Chip Scale Review magazine (2012 – Present)
- Member of the Assembly and Packaging subgroup of the ITRS (2011-Present)
- Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA) member and frequent invited speaker (1998 – Present)
- Past chair of the iNEMI/DOE SSL/LED roadmap task group (Level 1 assembly) (2010)
- Past vice president of technical programs for Empire (NY) State Chapter of SMTA (2010)
- Past chair of IPC solder paste task group (responsibly for J-STD-005) (1996-2001)
- Past vice-chair of IPC Assembly and Joining Materials Subcommittee (1998-2002)
- Past member of the Technical Advisory Committee for the annual International Wafer Level Packaging Conference (IWLPC) run by the SMTA (2008-2013)
Andy received the prestigious IPC President’s Award in 2001 for his leadership in both the Solder Paste Task Group and the Assembly and Joining Materials sub-committee. He has written papers and lectured internationally on subjects ranging from sub-ppb metals analysis in supercritical carbon dioxide to solder paste rheology. Additionally, he holds patents in novel polymers, gas analysis, and solder paste formulation.
Andy has a PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Nottingham, UK, and a Master’s of Science (MSc) in Colloid and Interface Science from the University of Bristol, UK. Additionally, he is formally trained in Six Sigma – Design of Experiments.
Andy is also well-known as the author of the Semiconductor Assembly blog.