Ronald C. Lasky, PhD, PE
Phone: +1 508 930 2242
Address: 34 Robinson Rd, Clinton, NY USA 13323
- Black Belt
Dr. Lasky is a Senior Technologist at Indium Corporation as well as a Professor of Engineering and the Director, Cook Engineering Design Center, at Dartmouth College. Additionally, he has over twenty years experience in electronic and optoelectronic packaging at IBM, Universal Instruments, and Cookson Electronics.
Ron has authored or edited 5 books on science, electronics, and optoelectronics and numerous technical papers. He has also been an adjunct professor at several colleges and has taught over 20 different courses on topics ranging from electronic packaging, materials science, physics, mechanical engineering and science, and religion.
Dr. Lasky holds numerous patent disclosures and is the developer of several new concepts in SMT processing software relating to cost estimating, line balancing, and process optimization. He is the co-creator of engineering certification exams finding use in the electronics assembly industry, worldwide. Ron was awarded the Surface Mount Technology Association’s Founder’s Award in 2003.
Dr. Lasky holds four degrees, including a Ph.D. from Cornell University in Materials Science. Ron is also a licensed professional engineer. He lives with his wife in Massachusetts.
Technical Papers Published (Those Published and Presented are in Bold)
- R. C. Lasky, et al, Moisture Solubility and Diffusion in Epoxy and Epoxy Glass Composites, The IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol 28, No. 6, November 1984.
- R. C. Lasky, Ph.D., Thesis, Cornell University, 1986.
- C.-Y. Hui, K.-C. Wu, R.C. Lasky and E.J. Kramer, "Case II Diffusion in Polymers I: Transient Swelling", (MSC Report # 5826) J. Appl. Phys., 61 5129-5136 (1987).
- C.-Y. Hui, K.-C. Wu, R.C. Lasky and E.J. Kramer, "Case II Diffusion in Polymers II: Steady State Front Motion", (MSC Report #5844) J. Appl. Phys., 61 5137-5149 (1987).
- C.-Y. Hui, K.-C. Wu, R.C. Lasky and E.J. Kramer, "Chemically-Driven Deformation of Polymers", (MSC Report #5851) Trans ASME , J. of Electronic Packaging, 111 68-73 (1989).
- R.C. Lasky, E.J. Kramer and C.-Y. Hui, "The Initial Stages of Case II Diffusion at Low Penetrant Activities", (MSC Report #6148), Polymer, 29 673 (1988).
- R.C. Lasky, E.J. Kramer and C.-Y. Hui, "The Temperature Dependence of Case II Diffusion", (MSC Report #6184), Polymer, 29 1131 (1988).
- T. P. Gall, R. C. Lasky and E. J. Kramer, "Case II Diffusion: Effect of Solvent Molecule Size", MSC Report #6706, Polymer, 31, 1491-1499 (1990).
- R. G. Bayer, R. Ginsburg, R. C. Lasky, Settleable and Airborne Particles in Industrial Environments, pp 155-166, Proceedings of the 35th IEEE Holm Conference, September 1989, Chicago.
- R. C. Lasky, et al., Use of Surface Analysis Techniques in Electronic Packaging, pp 323-329, ASM Conference Proceedings 3rd Electronic Materials & Processing Congress, San Francisco, August 1990.
- V. Lundell, T. Kellerman, R.C. Lasky, Reliability Criteria for Data Communication Fiber Optic Cables/Connectors, pp 209-214, ASM Conference Proceedings in Materials Developments in Microelectronic Packaging: Performance and Reliability, 1991.
- D. P. Clement, U. Osterberg, R. C. Lasky, Analytical Coupling Model for Obliquely polished single-mode cables, IEEE Photon. Techno. Lett. 5, 1422-1444.
- M. D. Snyder, R. C. Lasky, Overview of Solder Jetting, Proceedings of the Materials Research Society, Spring 1995, San Francisco, CA.
- R. C. Lasky, Critical Issues in Electronics Assembly, Circuits Assembly Magazine, Fall 1995- Winter 1996.
- R. C. Lasky, Critical Issues in Electronics Assembly, Electronic Packaging and Assembly Magazine, Fall 1997-Winter 1998.
- R. C. Lasky. D. Baldwin, B. Lewis, Metrics: The Key to Productivity, Proceedings of the IPC/SMTA Electronics Assembly Expo 1998, Providence, RI.
- R. C. Lasky, D. Baldwin, Cost Estimating To Maximize Profit by Monitoring and Improving Cost Metrics, Proceedings of NEPCON 1999, Anaheim, CA.
- R. C. Lasky, Y. Y. Morvan, What is Needed to Establish Flip Chip as a Standard SMT Process, Proceedings of NEPCON 1999, Anaheim, CA.
- D. Baldwin, R. C. Lasky, J. Belmonte, K. Murray, Real Time Cost Estimates Measure ROI, pp 46-52, SMT Magazine, Sept 1999.
- R. C. Lasky, A. Rae, Y. Morvan, Critical Issues in Electronics, 2nd Singapore SMTA Seminar "SMT in the New Millennium", 15 October 1999, Royal Crowne Plaza Singapore.
- R. C. Lasky, A. Rae, Economic Considerations of Lead Free Assembly, 2nd Singapore SMTA Seminar "SMT in the New Millennium", 15 October 1999, Royal Crowne Plaza Singapore.
- R. C. Lasky, Real Time Costing as a Tool to Improve Profitability, Proceedings of APEX 2000, Los Angeles, CA.
- R. C. Lasky, Small Process Improvements Equal Large Profits, Proceedings of the SMTA International Conference, September 24-28, 2000, Chicago.
- M. Mukadam, D. Santos, S. Dalton, R. C. Lasky, Process Modeling to Maximize Productivity and Profit in BGA Assembly, Proceedings of APEX 2001, San Diego, CA.
- J. Belmonte, R. C. Lasky, D. Santos, A Production and Profit Simulation of a Superfactory, Proceedings of APEX 2001, San Diego, CA.
- G. Jones, R. C. Lasky, Electronic Packaging and Production Magazine, June 2001
- R. C. Lasky, Prashant Chouta, Critical Issues in Optoelectronic Assembly, pp 1-5, Proceedings of the Technical Program: Optoelectronics and the Telecom Revolution, SMTA, Dallas, November 14-15, 2001.
- R. C. Lasky, J. L. Morvan, Fundamentals and Challenges in Optoelectronic Assembly, Proceedings of the Technical Conference, APEX, San Diego, January 22-24, 2002.
- R. C. Lasky, K. A. Lasky, J. A. Su, Throughput Estimator for SMT Productivity a Low Cost Tool , Proceedings of the Technical Conference, APEX, San Diego, January 22-24, 2002.
- J. Belmonte, R. C. Lasky, A Guide to Assessing the Performance of Your Manufacturing Operation, Proceedings of the Technical Conference, APEX, San Diego, January 22-24, 2002.
- R. K. Warren (R. C. Lasky et al “ghost writers”), Proceedings of the 41st Electronic Components Technology Conference, Atlanta, GA, May 11-16, 1991, pp161-168, IEEE Pubs.
- R. C. Lasky, The Greatest Challenge for Electronic Assembly, EPP Magazine, 2002
- R. C. Lasky, The Importance of Incremental Uptime in the Assembly of High Value PCBs, SMT Magazine, April 2003.
- R. C. Lasky, T. Jensen, Assembling Chip Scale Packages with High Yields, Chip Scale Review, Nov-Dec 2002.
- R. C. Lasky, Daryl Santos, Pohly Doug, Establishing a Continuous Improvement Plan to Dramatically Increase Profit, at SMTAI, Chicago, IL, Sept 2002.
- R. C. Lasky, Jensen, T., Practical Tips in Implementing the “Pin in Paste” Process, at SMTAI, Chicago, IL, Sept 2002.
- R. C. Lasky, Materials and Process Challenges In RF And Optoelectronics Assembly, at SMTAI, Chicago, IL, Sept 2002
- R.C. Lasky, R. H. Short, A Self Assessment Software Tool for SMT Processes and Productivity Optimization, APEX, Anaheim, April 2003.
- R.C. Lasky, Daryl. Santos, J. R. Cloyd, An Effective Design of Experiment Strategy to Optimize SMT Processes APEX, Anaheim, April 2003.
- R. C. Lasky, Amey Teredesai, Daryl L. Santos, Questioning the Need for Automation in Optoelectronic Assembly, OMI, Ottawa, April 2003.
- Scanning Electronic Microscopy as a Failure Analysis Tool, Binghamton University, Spring 1978.
- The Challenges of Implementing a New Resin in PWB Manufacturing, Cornell University, 1983, 86, 87, 93, 95, 96
- Technical Estimating: The Second Most Important Skill, Cornell University 1988, 89, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, Dartmouth 1997.
- Job Interviewing: A View from the Other Side: Binghamton University 1991, Dartmouth 1996, 1997.
- Tips for Success: Dartmouth 1997
- Electronic Assembly: USMA at West Point, 1996.
- Economic Considerations of Lead Free Processing, Lead Free Soldering and Interconnection Symposium, Binghamton University, December 6-8, 1999.
- Critical Issues in Optoelectronic Assembly, International Electronics Packaging Symposium, Binghamton University, June 25-27, 2001.
- Beyond a Reasonable Doubt: Evidence for a Designed Universe, Cornell 1999, Purdue 1999, MIT 2000, Wheaton College 2000, Boston University 2001, University of Connecticut, Harvard 2001, Bowdoin College 2001, Bates College 2001, Colby College 2001, Bates College 2002.
- Fundamentals of Optoelectronics, Cal Tech 1992, Dartmouth 1992, Cornell 1992, Yale, 1992, Princeton 1992.
- Fundamentals of Optoelectronic Assembly, SMTA Dallas 2001, APEX, SMTA Toronto, SMTA NEPCON East 2002
- Critical Issues in Electronic Assembly: 1997-2002 more than 20 times
- Design for Manufacturability in SMT Assembly, SMTA Toronto, RIM 2002
- Stencil Printing Using Software Tools, SMTA NEPCON East
- Challenges in Optoelectronic Assembly, 2001-2002 more than 10 times
- Auditing Your SMT Facility for Maximum Profitability: Libra 2002, Leitch
Chairing of Technical Sessions
- NEPCON West 1998
- NEPCON West 1999
- APEX 2000
- APEX 2001
- APEX 2002
- APEX 2003
- SMTAI 2002
- Ericsson 1997 resulted in productivity enhancement of 10% yielding over $50M in increased profit
- Blaupunkt, 1999 resulted in 15% productivity improvement
- Flextronics , Guadalajara, 2000, resulted in a 5% productivity improvement
- Jabil, Guadalajara, 2001, resulted in a 25% yield improvement
- Leitch 2002, resulting in 8% productivity improvement
- D. P. Seraphim, R. C. Lasky, C. Y. Li, Principles of Electronic Packaging, McGraw-Hill, 1989, NY, NY.
- R. C. Lasky, D. Stigliani, U. Osterberg, Optoelectronics for Data Communication, Academic Press, 1995, NY, NY.
- C. DeCusatis, E. Maass, D. Clement, R. C. Lasky, Handbook of Fiber Optic Data Communication, Academic Press, 1997, NY, NY.
- R. C. Lasky, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt: Evidence for a Designed Universe, 1st Books, 2000.
- Number 5,631,987: Low Cost, Mode Filed Matched, High Performance, Laser Transmitter Optical Subassembly.
- Twelve patent publications in materials, materials analysis and electronic packaging.
Ronald C. Lasky, PhD, PE's Technical Documents
Ronald C. Lasky, PhD, PE's Blog Posts
Electronics Assembly Process Optimization Using AuditCoach™
Let's check in on Patty: Mike Madigan was not used to feeling intimidated. After all, as the CEO of ACME, a multi-billion US dollar EMS company, he was used to doing the intimidating. However, he had just finished a meeting with the CEOs of his two biggest customers and it was…
What is Cicret and why is it important?
Folks, Let’s check in on Patty…… Patty had to admit that she was getting annoyed. Two of the female engineering students were always going to her husband Rob’s office for help with their homework. At first glance this would seem like a normal thing to do, as Rob was a teaching…
Indium and Gallium: Playing Important Roles in LED Lighting and the 2014 Nobel Prize in Physics
Folks, An important element of US energy independence is the reduction of energy use for lighting. While, in its day, the incandescent light was one of the greatest inventions of all time, it is extremely energy inefficient. Studies show that 19% of all electricity is used for electric lighting.…