Q: Did you know that the Winter Olympics have been held in New York two times?
A: Yup! 1932 and 1980 - both in Lake Placid.
So, it is a natural that I am on the mailing list for promotional information from Gore Mountain, a New York State-owned ski area that is a couple of hours from my home.
Interestingly, just after I swiped Jim Hisert's idea of posting a TOP 10 LIST of things to do at Semicon West 2008, I received a B2C email from a gal named Em from Gore Mountain. Em totally gets it - and schooled me with her great work.
In my B2B effort, I gave away all Top 10 reasons and called it a day. You (the reader) read it and called it a day, as well. Kind of lame on my part.
Em showed me how it's done by including in her newsletter her TOP 9 LIST (an excerpt of the letter is here):
Em's Top 9 Reasons for Loving HerÑ‚Gore Mountain Season Pass. The best reply with reason number 10 wins the hot new Burnt Ridge hat (now on sale when you pick up your pass!):
1) It's the quickest way to grab the fresh pow- or the clean corduroy. I'm direct to the lift every time.
2) No need to worry if I can't put in a full day, I can ski a few runs on my own schedule.
3) Let's face it. Having a season pass is cool. Status, you know? Especially featuringmy great mug shot...yeah right.
4) Old ski passes make the best Christmas ornaments
Em masterfully engages her target audience - seeking an emotional connection.
Gore Mountain and Indium Corporation have a lot in common. We both:
- appeal to a unique, long-tail-type audience
- enjoy passionate, experienced, customer groups
- enjoy enthusiastic, committed, dedicated teammates
- do what we do well, and are well known for this
- originated in New York
- enjoy creating exciting new products and sharing them with our customers
One difference is that Em is a fullstep ahead of me with her Marcom, but I'm a fast learner.
Good luck to Em on her contest (I sent in a few reasons)._x000D_
PS: I love skiing at Gore Mountain. The terrain is super, the grooming is fantastic, and the staff is fun. And I have very fond memories of skiing there with my sons.