President and Principal Consultant ITM Consulting,
Spring Hill, TN USA
Phil Zarrow has been involved with PCB fabrication and assembly for more than thirty-five years. His expertise includes the manufacture of equipment for circuit board fabrication and assembly of through-hole and surface mount technologies. In addition to his background in automated assembly and cleaning, Mr. Zarrow is recognized for his expertise in surface mount reflow soldering technology and in the design and implementation of SMT placement equipment and reflow soldering systems. Having held key technical and management positions with Vitronics Corporation, Excellon-Micronetics and Universal Instruments Corporation, he has extensive hands-on experience with set-up and troubleshooting through-hole and SMT processes throughout the world. During his tenure as Director of Technology Development for GSS/Array Technology, he was responsible for specifying and setting up medium- and high-speed assembly lines, as well as investigating and implementing emerging and leading-edge technologies, equipment and processes.
Since forming ITM in 1993, Phil Zarrow has helped numerous clients in such areas as
- SMT Implementation and Assembly facility set-up
- SMT Assembly and Soldering Process Failure Analysis
- EMS/Supplier Process and Quality Assessment Audits
- Counterfeit Component Avoidance and Interception Programs
- Manufacturing yield improvement
- Equipment Evaluation and Selection
- No-clean and lead-free solder paste evaluation and process implementation
- SMT Manufacturing Process Audits and process improvement
- On-site training for all levels of personnel
- Design for Manufacturability (DFM) specification development
- Reflow of Through-hole feasibility, development and implementation
- Implementation of new component packages including QFN, BGA, CSP and Flip-Chip
- SMT process equipment benchmark testing and evaluation
- SMT product development
- Lead-free Process Implementation and Optimization
- Technical evaluations related to business acquisitions and mergers
- Technical assistance in legal disputes
Mr. Zarrow is a popular speaker and workshop instructor. He has chaired and instructed at numerous seminars and conferences in North America, Europe, and the Pacific Rim. He has published many technical papers and magazine articles as well as contributed a number of chapters to industry books. He is co-author of the book, "SMT Glossary- Terms and Definitions". Mr. Zarrow holds two US Patents concerning PCB fabrication and assembly processes and audit methodologies.
Phil is a member of IPC, SME, IMAPS, a co-founder of ITM Incorporated, and is a past national level officer and national director of the Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA). He was also Chairman of the Reflow Committee for SMEMA. He was the recipient of the SMTA's Member of Distinction Award (1995) and Founders’ Award (2000). Mr. Zarrow has served on the Editorial Advisory Board for Circuits Assembly Magazine and won awards for his writings "On the Forefront" and “Better Manufacturing” columns. He is currently producer and co-host of Circuit Insight’s “BoardTalk” audio program.
Phil Zarrow's Blog Posts
Kim Flanagan, Technical Support Engineer, and Phil Zarrow overview the attributes and applications of InTEGRATED® solder preforms—a manufacturing-friendly product that’s benefits include efficiency and cost savings.
Dr. Robert Ploessl, Manager of Marketing and Technology Assessment and Product Manager, Compounds, gives Phil Zarrow an overview of what Cpk and Cpu mean in relation to calculating the purity of Indium Corporation compounds and how it differs from calculating Cpk and Cpu in assembly processes.
Kim Flanagan, Technical Support Engineer, and Phil Zarrow discuss how to Avoid the Void® by looking at four non-QFN void types—Kirkendall (champagne), shrinkage, via-in-pad, and blowhole—and how to decide if voiding is a defect or a symptom.
From One Engineer to Another®
All of Indium Corporation’s products and solutions are designed to be commercially available
unless specifically stated otherwise.