Related Thermal Management Blog Articles
Visit us at SPIE West show at booth #3310 on February 5-7. We look forward to learning more about your applications.Read More
Indium Corporation presents paper at Advanced Technology Workshop that provdes metal thermal interface materials (TIMs) have a higher insertion rate and higher thermal conductivity than traditional TIMs for burn-in and test.Read More
There are many considerations that can figure into your thermal interface material selection.Read More
Indium Corporation will be showcasing our metal TIM solutions at Semi-Therm, the premier symposium for semiconductor thermal management. Come see us to discussion your thermal challenges.Read More
If you are learning about thermal interface materials as they relate to a wide range of applications – this article is perfect for you!Read More
All of our thermal interface materials are metal-based, which means they have a very high conductivity as compared to polymer-based thermal interface materials.
Indium metal, for example, has a conductivity of 86W/mK and is 4 times softer than lead. It's ductility and thermal conductivity make it ideal as a compressible thermal interface material. For the thermal K values of other thermally conductive materials, check out our thermal K list.
Metal TIMs can be divided into two categories:
- Solder TIMs that reflow and melt to form a mechanical bond
- Compressible TIMs that serve as gap fillers and do not need heat to form a bond
Compressible (or non-reflow) TIMs include:
Solder interconnects can also act as a thermal interface.
Indium Corporation makes over 200 different alloys for solder preforms. These alloys can be pure indium, indium alloys, Pb-free, or Pb-contained. Please consult one of our technical support engineers to identify the best metal TIM for your application.
Solder TIMs include:
Indium Corporation manufactures die-attach solder paste, such as Indium8.9-LDA, for vacuum soldering. Indium Corporation's IGBT die-attach solder paste can be screen printed or stencil printed and is easy to clean.
Indium Corporation also provides solder ribbon and solder preforms for die-attach applications. Tape & reel packaging allows preforms to be advanced and placed with speed and accuracy. Semiconductor-grade ribbon and preforms come in ultra-pure alloys and adaptable packaging, such as tape & reel, custom spools, and cartridge packs, to increase productivity, performance, and efficiencies.
All material is recyclable and reclaimable.
TIM1, TIM1.5, TIM2
Indium Corporation continues to lead the way in developing cutting-edge thermal interface materials (TIMs) and processes, including applications for TIM1, TIM1.5, and TIM2.
- TIM1: Solder preforms are used as a solder thermal interface material between a processor die and a heat-spreader at the TIM1 level.
- TIM1.5: In mobile applications or bare die applications, such as laptops or video graphics boards, there is no heat-spreader. Instead, the die is in direct contact with the cooling solution. That is why we call this thermal interface level TIM1.5. Here we recommend our compressible thermal materials, such as Heat-Springs® or liquid metal
- TIM2: In the TIM2 level between the heat-spreader and the heat-sink we also recommend our compressible interface material - Heat-Springs® or liquid metal
Thermal K Values List
Denotes Materials that Indium Corporation can provide
|Indalloy Number||Material||Thermal Conductivity W/(m - K)||Remarks|
|Phase Change Materials||3 - 8|
|Thermal Grease||.75 - 6|
|Ag - Filled Die Attach||1.3 - 5|
|Molding Compounds||0.6 - 0.7|
|FR - 4||0.11|