Phil Zarrow has been involved with PCB fabrication and assembly for more than 35 years. His expertise includes the manufacture of equipment for circuit board fabrication and assembly of through-hole and surface mount technologies. In addition to his background in automated assembly and cleaning, Phil is recognized for his expertise in surface mount reflow soldering technology and in the design and implementation of SMT placement equipment and reflow soldering systems. Having held key technical and management positions with Vitronics Corporation, Excellon-Micronetics and Universal Instruments Corporation, he has extensive hands-on experience with set-up and troubleshooting through-hole and SMT processes throughout the world. During his tenure as Director of Technology Development for GSS/Array Technology, he was responsible for specifying and setting up medium- and high-speed assembly lines, as well as investigating and implementing emerging and leading-edge technologies, equipment, and processes.
Since forming ITM in 1993, Phil Zarrow has helped numerous clients in such areas as
- SMT implementation and assembly facility set-up
- SMT assembly and soldering process failure analysis
- EMS/supplier process and quality assessment audits
- Counterfeit component avoidance and interception programs
- Manufacturing yield improvement
- Equipment evaluation and election
- No-clean and lead-free solder paste evaluation and process implementation
- SMT manufacturing process audits and process improvement
- On-site training for all levels of personnel
- Design for manufacturability (DFM) specification development
- Reflow of through-hole feasibility, development and implementation
- Implementation of new component packages including QFN, BGA, CSP and Flip-Chip
- SMT process equipment benchmark testing and evaluation
- SMT product development
- Lead-free process implementation and optimization
- Technical evaluations related to business acquisitions and mergers
- Technical assistance in legal disputes
Phil is a popular speaker and workshop instructor. He has chaired and instructed at numerous seminars and conferences in North America, Europe, and the Pacific Rim. He has published many technical papers and magazine articles, and contributed a number of chapters to industry books. He is co-author of the book, "SMT Glossary- Terms and Definitions". Phil holds two US patents concerning PCB fabrication and assembly processes and audit methodologies.
Phil is a member of the IPC, SME, IMAPS, a co-founder of ITM Incorporated, and is a past national level officer and national director of the Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA). He was also Chairman of the Reflow Committee for SMEMA. Phil was the recipient of the SMTA's Member of Distinction Award (1995) and Founders’ Award (2000). He has served on the Editorial Advisory Board for Circuits Assembly Magazine and won awards for his writings "On the Forefront" and “Better Manufacturing” columns. He is currently producer and co-host of Circuit Insight’s “BoardTalk” audio program.