BiAgX®: A Drop-In Replacement for High-Pb Solders
Environmental and legislative concerns are driving consumers away from products that contain lead, including solders used in die-attach applications for analog semiconductor assembly.
BiAgX® is a high-melting, lead-free (Pb-free) solder paste technology that serves as a DROP-IN replacement for the high-Pb solder pastes used in many high-reliability die-attach and electronics assembly applications.
BiAgX® is the ONLY low-cost, lead-free replacement solder paste that is customer-proven to survive JEDEC/IPC J-STD-020 MSL1 preconditioning in specific devices without delamination.
Options for Metallic Die-Attach Materials
- Drop-in replacement for high Pb-containing solder pastes, requiring minimal process optimization and no new capital expenditure
- Both Pb-free and Sb-free, conforming to applicable standards
- Available in both dispense and printing forms, like standard die-attach solder paste
- Reflows, solders, and solidifies like other solder paste
- Fluxes are cleanable with standard cleaning chemistry and processes
- Requires minimal adjustments when converting from a standard high-Pb solder paste-based process
- Suited to smaller die and lower voltage applications, such as those used in QFN packages for portable electronics, automotive, and industrial applications
- Contains no costly specialty materials, such as nanoparticles or gold
- Requires no pressure on the die during the reflow process
- Designed to work in high-temperature environments at temperatures in excess of 150°C with no degradation of the mechanical structure or other properties
This patent-pending technology is evolving into a family of products, all based around a platform technology.
Indium Corporation also offers other die-attach solder materials, and is currently the only materials supplier in the Automotive Electronics Council (AEC).
- Solder Pastes - dispense and print
- Solder Preforms
- Solder Ribbon and Foil
- Die-Attach Wire
- Indium-based solders
- Gold-tin solders
Related Markets and Applications
Top BiAgX® Technical Documents
BiAgX® Technical Documents
No application notes to display
Product Data Sheets
Safety Data Sheets
BiAgX® Blog Posts
Those of you who have been watching this blog for a while - waiting for updates on the European ELV (End of Life Vehicle) legislation - wait no more.
The 46th International Symposium on Microelectronics will be held in Orlando, Florida, September 30th through October 3rd, 2013. I will be attending both as an exhibitor and as a session co-chair. TECHNICAL SESSION: This year there will be 6 technical...
I'm just back from Malaysia, where I visited one of our larger customers who has been using our high-lead (high-Pb) dispensable NC-SMQ75 solder paste for many years. No surprises there, but what many people don't realize is that the NC-SMQ75 solder paste can be used as a no-clean material...
Folks, An obvious disadvantage of lead-free electronics soldering assembly is that the oven must be hotter and therefore will use more electricity (versus 63Sn37Pb soldering). But is the extra amount of electricity significant? Bill O'Leary claims...
Dr Ning-Cheng Lee (Indium Corporation's Vice-President of Technology) just let me review his team's excellent upcoming paper on solder technology for high temperature Pb-free (lead-free) [HTLF] applications, such as Power Semiconductor die-attach. Dr Lee...
From One Engineer to Another®
All of Indium Corporation’s products and solutions are designed to be commercially available
unless specifically stated otherwise.